For questions and business inquiries, contact us at info@polarhoneybears.com

Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Catching Up : The K1 Visa Interview Experience + Approval

The judgement day

August 6, 2015 - the long awaited interview. After all the struggles and the time spent waiting, we've finally arrived to the point where it will be decided.

Alex Bear and I were pretty sure that I will pass it - but then anything can go wrong. They might ask for additional documents (and who knows what they might come up with!), they might think this and that... the possibilities of "what if's" were endless... but the time has come.

Source: www.globalnation.inquirer.net


Okay, so I don't really have any photos because I can't bring any electronic gadget inside the US Embassy building. I also can't bring anyone with me, unless they are willing to stay outside the embassy premises. However, if you are coming with a US citizen, they can come with you inside the embassy and they can bring their phone, however there is a counter where they should leave it.

So I have to face it.
With no cellphones.




My Personal Experience


Getting In Line
My appointment was at 7am and applicants must be there at least 30 minutes before the appointment. I asked the security guard where to line up because there were several lines. He directed me to go to the one for the 7am schedule. The lines are categorized by your appointment time.

While waiting to get in, there are people or vendors who will offer to sell you black pens. They will also offer to look after your things if you brought items that aren't allowed inside. I've seen many people who entrusted their items to the vendors but I would admit that it's pretty risky. I haven't heard anyone having their stuff stolen but personally I wouldn't do it.

Document Check
Before getting into the embassy, there is a tent outside and Filipino employees will check on your requirements. Be sure to bring your passport, DS-160 and appointment confirmation. Have them ready before you reach the tent so that you will not cause delay to the line. Remember that everything from this point will be fast paced.

After checking your documents, they will give you a piece of paper that you will need to keep until you get in. Honestly, I actually already forgot what the paper said! Sorry... Pro-tip : Just keep everything that they will hand you!

Inside the Embassy
You won't get into the building right away. As I entered the gates, I had to go through scanners. The checkers will go through your belongings to make sure that you didn't bring anything prohibited inside. After the check, I proceeded to another counter. You will provide your information and show them documents that you have on hand. You will then be directed to go inside the building.

If you are a K1 applicant, you can go directly inside. Other visa applicants need their numbers to be called and there is a waiting area just past the counter outside the main building. I came in just in time proceeded to the building.

The Flow of Events
When I got in, the employees were mainly Filipinos - so there's no need to be so nervous! And don't worry, you can speak in Tagalog ;)

When I came in, I was told to go to a certain counter to give the piece of paper I was handed earlier, then proceed to have my biometrics taken. As soon as I entered the building I was confused so I had to ask one of the people in charge of assisting to tell me where to go. That time they were wearing orange - I'm not sure if they wear different uniforms on certain days or what.

The line to have my paper taken was full so I was directed to get my biometrics first - which I did. Then I gave them the paper on a different counter. While I was waiting, I chatted with other applicants. I believe that the section where I was directed was for those who were petitioned by relatives, spouses or fiances.

The wait was quite a while. I was told that if I come in late, I'd get out really late and I'd have to wait for really really long. I didn't really think so because there is a time schedule. I know some people get in line as early as 4 am - then again they won't let you in if you're appointment is at 8 am because they will accommodate those who scheduled earlier.

PS - I was the last one to get in for the 7 am appointment. Yes, I'm the ultimate buzzer beater, flight last call passenger... no it's not a cool example @.@ #justsaying LOL

A few more minutes later I was personally called into a room. I got really nervous because the other fiances weren't called and their documents were only checked in counters - but I guess it's because I'm for the 7 am appointment and the others I was with were the ones for 8 am. So I advanced to the next round woohooo!


After a Filipina employee did an initial check on my documents, making sure they were complete, I was then directed to have my oath taken. Then another long wait... at this point it was 10 am.

The Interview
It was time. I stood up and went on the line where the next person was directed to the next available counter. Behind each counter is a Consular Officer and all we can do at this point is hope that they're in a good mood.

It was then my turn.

Note : The following conversation is just a gist of what happened, shortened and re-worded. These aren't the exact lines that we both said but this is the closest that I can rephrase them. Also I can't memorize a whole conversation word-for-word @.@

Consular Officer (CO) : Hi, how are you doing?
Me : Hi, good afternoon! (It was 12 noon) Doing great, nervous! Haha!
CO : Oh really? Doesn't look like it!
Me : Oh trust me, I am!
CO : Why is that?
Me :  Because they said you guys are really strict!
CO : Ah, well we'll see right?
Me : Haha, yeah we will!
Yes, I am very confident... let's just say that this is my way of countering my nervousness. Now I know I sounded very casual, but that's my way of communicating (which also depends on the situation) and in this case I know that if I was confident and easy to talk to, things will be better.
CO : Alrightie, let's begin. So you're Kimberly?
Me : Yup!
CO : So tell me...
The consular officer started asking the basic questions about myself and Alex Bear. I will provide some details about this later on the next section of this entry. You can scroll down to see. Basic questions include personal information, work, family and how you met.
CO : Okay, so I guess you know everything about him?
Me : We don't keep secrets *grins*
CO : Haha! That's really good. Alright, now tell me do you have any proof of relationship?
Me : Yes, here I have my scrapbook! *shows off the thick scrapbook with icing* And I have a blog dedicated to us too! *gives him a copy of a few blog entries from Polar Honey Bears*
CO : Oh that's cool! You have your own website?
Me :  Yup!
CO : Polar... Honey Bears? Hmmm... tell me... what.. why... uhh... *yes he was confused* what is the 'Polar Honey Bears'?
Me : Oh that! *grins* Well, it's our pet names. I love animals and I think bears are so cuddly! He called me Honey Bear because I was tanned and I thought he was a Polar Bear because he was fluffy and super pale! OMG Alex is soooo white he looks like a ghost... and.. uhm, yeah *big smile, too much info now*
The Consular Officer sure was having fun listening to my story but I guess he realized that we were running out of time.
CO : Okay, so can I keep this copy of your website?
Me :  Yes, sure!
CO : Moving on, let's see. Can you show me photos?
Me : This is my scrapbook... *I started flipping the pages and telling him stories*
Six pages into it...
CO : Oh that's amazing! Uhm okay now I think everything's all set!
Me : Oh... *surprised, much very, wow*
I was still having fun going through my scrapbook! But I guess time is valuable. I wasn't able to send him our bunk house and all that -_-

Our conversation lasted for about 7-10 minutes. He then said that it's all set and I should proceed to the next counter. Before me was a family and the lady behind the counter seemed to be really frustrated explaining things to them. I was so nervous that she's going to get mad at me because she was already not in a good mood.

PS - I was never asked to provide any of our chat logs.

When I got to the counter, the Filipina employee smiled and said my hair looked amazing!

*sigh*
MANY RELIEF WOW!

She just told me that if there's anything else that I need they will contact me but everything looks good from there. Then she forwarded me to the 2GO area where I provided my mailing address.

I finished the whole process at around 1 pm.

The Approval
You can check the status of your visa online on the CEAC site. Usually when the person on the last counter doesn't tell you anything's wrong, you're good to go. The last counter will usually provide details about a lack of document (221G) or if you're denied. Note that if you're denied they will immediately return your passport.
I always tracked my passport in 2GO

Entering my passport didn't work for me so I entered my Case Number which is usually the one that starts with 'MNL'
I was constantly checking mine and finally on August 11, it was finally issued!
My quick update about that can be found on this entry.




Kimi's Things to Remember

Come in early! But just on time for your appointment. Okay, I know you will hear various tips on this so let me just be clear. Latest you should be there is at most 30 minutes before your interview (like me) but this will place you at the end of the line, which means you are going to be called last in your batch.

I was told to be there at 4 am? You can choose to be there very early and you'll be on the front of the queue. Now this is how it works. There are several lines like I mentioned earlier - each corresponding to a particular type of visa (fiance, relative, tourist, diplomatic, etc.). Then they are also categorized by time. Coming in early will make sure that you will be on the front line for your appointment time, but you will not go before the ones who have an earlier appointment than you.

Don't bring in an electronics or wired gadgets even if it doesn't require a battery. Headphones, digital watches, or anything like that will be taken from you! There is no baggage counter there so you will have to leave it outside. There are vendors who will offer their services of keeping your belongings for a price - but it's on your own risk.

Dress appropriately. There is no official dress code stated but dress like this event matters. Semi-casual clothing is allowed.

I'm not sure if there are restrictions but here are what you can wear:
- collared shirts
- collared button-up shirts
- tee shirts (avoid obscene, profane and political themed prints)
- jeans
- dresses
- sneakers, black shoes, heeled shoes (avoid slippers or sandals with no straps)

Don't be too adventurous tho, and don't over-do it. Just wear something you're comfortable in and not something you will wear to a wedding party. Don't under-do it as if you're just going to hang out around the corner. Just wear something comfy and decent.

Make sure all your documents are complete. Double check everything because one missing document can results to a 221-G which will prolong the process. Worse, they can deny your visa.

Know all the details. Know everything - names, dates, relatives, family. EVERYTHING. Declare everything. Even if it's a former marriage from 50 years ago or a long, forgotten child of 100 years ago - it doesn't matter. They would know your US fiance's background and if your details don't add up, they will deny you.

They might ask you for chat logs. They don't need the whole book of 12,000 pages. They just need to know if you're constantly talking or is it just "Hi" and "Hello" every Saturday evening. Print out the latest conversations, or if you can dig in your chat (FB, Skype, etc.) print important conversations like anniversaries, holidays and similar events.

Be confident and be honest. It should all go well!

The Common Questions/Details You Should Know

Your personal information - full name, change in name, family, previous marriages, children, current and former education, current and former work
Fiance's personal information - full name, change in name, family, parent's names, mother's maiden name, previous marriages, children, current and former education, current and former work
How did you meet? Where did you meet? - they may ask minor details from what you ate to how the whole day went.
What are your plans? When are you getting married? Are your parents coming over? What are your plans after you get married? - they want to make sure that are getting married. Have your wedding prepared, if not, at least the whole plan - who do you think are invited, where, at least when. 

They might even ask more personal question like why would you marry an American.

Here's a more comprehensive list from Visa Journey.

The questions will vary from each applicant to another; and from each CO to the next. There is no guarantee which ones they will ask at all. Remember that the flow of the conversation depends on how you respond. If they think that you're not declaring anything, even if you are completely honest, they might opt to ask more questions.

However, it's not an interrogation. Stay calm and ready with all the details ^.^



xoxo
~ Honey Bear ~
Contact : kimistarrphotography@gmail.com | Travel Blog : Kimi Goes Places | Official : KimiStarr.Net | Starr&Sparkle Shoppe

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show us some love :3