For questions and business inquiries, contact us at info@polarhoneybears.com

Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Catching Up : CFO Seminar Process

Ready for the final step?

I know that it can be really stressful for both you and your beau when you start the visa application process. The thing is - you still need to secure the CFO sticker and certificate even after  you get your visa. Come to think of it, it's all worth it right? You'll finally be with the love of your life!

The whole process was really stressful for both Alex Bear and me - there's the part where you need to secure all the documents from both of you; the waiting game; and the approval/denial of your petition/visa or CFO.

Yes, your CFO sticker or certificate!


It may not be part of the visa but it plays a significant role in your immigration.





Important Notes!

Attending the seminar is just as important as getting your visa. You cannot leave the country if you do not go through this process!

It may seem like a hassle or an additional fee - but it's also for your own good and I'll tell you why later

If you've been doing your online research, you might have read about some horror stories - now don't let this scare you. Remember that as long as you're honest and genuine, you'll make it

If  you know an OFW, seaman, or if you formerly were - then you may have heard or even attended the PDOS (Pre Departure Orientation Seminar). The CFO Seminar is similar to it - the difference is that if focuses on immigrants who are marrying or are married to US citizens.

There are FAQs at the end of this article ^_^


The Online Process



You will be redirected to a list of options that you would need to go through in order to get all the information that you want.

Like any other seminar or application that needs approval, there is a list of requirements that can also be found on this link. They are listed below (as of January 2016):


There is a fee of 400php or about $10.

To schedule your appointment, go to this link and you will find your option where you can choose either MANILA or CEBU.

Fill in the information that you need.



You will receive a confirmation email from them.


Then you can proceed to reserve a slot for your seminar.






The Seminar Experience

I actually had a good and enlightening experience!

The seminar I secured was almost a month before my flight. Some people schedule theirs close to their departure date but I really wouldn't advise it.

Try to schedule a date at least 2 weeks before your flight.
Why? Not because you finished the seminar means that you will automatically secure the certificate and the sticker. You will be asked questions after the seminar and if the counselor opts to ask for other documents, it may delay your plans.

Like I've mentioned, I wouldn't really say it's a bad thing but it's for your own good and I'll tell you why ^.^ So here's what happened...

I was caught in really bad traffic coming from Cavite. I've been working from home for almost two years now so I didn't know that things got 30 minutes more slow!

They are located in the Citigold Center along Quirino Avenue.

Good thing that lolo taxi driver was super nice and kept me from dying out of anxiousness.

Come in as early as possible.
There was a line outside the building but I skipped that and proceeded into their reception area on the ground floor. I was instructed to go to the 2nd floor. I asked one of the clerks and she took my papers and gave me forms to fill out.

I was running late and before I could finish filling it, the counselor started to be really mean and strict and demanded that all papers be passed. Since I came very close to the start time I only managed to finish half. It was a terror experience!!!




Don't worry, it's just his style.
When the counselor started - he explained why he was quite rude and mean - he wanted to emphasize the difference between the USA and the Philippines. Filipino time is highly NOT acceptable! Boy is he spot on! It's true - you can actually get fired immediately in the US for arriving a few minutes late.

From there he started his lecture and began asking us of what we think of the US and gave us a brief insight of what it really is. It was a fun and dynamic type of seminar where he engages all of us to participate.

I actually wish that the attendees were keen to listen and understand what he was saying. 

The seminar may seem boring in the sense that people just think it's additional burden in getting the process done but it's really helpful and insightful. I've traveled quite a bit and met people from around the world, including Americans (like many of my relatives), but it's true - coming here is very different from just hearing from others.

He tackled various topics from employment, environment and relationships.

Marrying a foreign person can be challenging. Especially if they spent all their lives there. There are many cultural barriers that will test your relationship. I'm actually glad that the counselor talked about it too.

Moving along, at the end of the seminar, he started giving us advise on what to do once we arrive in the USA. He also gave a handbook with contact details in case things don't go smoothly.

That's also one thing, of course we love our partners - that's why we're traveling all across the globe just to marry them! However, we may all be subjected to lies and deceit - so we need to know our partners well, their families and their jobs.

Earlier I mentioned that it's for our own good. Here's why...
I actually appreciate this CFO Seminar! It's a way for our government to protect our citizens. In fact, even when we become US Citizens we can still contact them when things go wrong (contact details will be provided in the manual).

It's already a fact that many Filipinas end up going back to the Philippines because they became a victim of spousal abuse, sex/drug trafficking, and many others. I know that we have this "blame-culture" and trust me, you don't want me tackling that (maybe some other time, although I know we're not always the victim - it's can go both ways) but our fellow kababayans who need assistance deserve it. Consider that they are so far away from home and usually with no relatives or none nearby, there's nowhere to go!

As the lecture went on, we were also given information about our journey. He provided the information about the airport, fees, baggage details and many more.

At the end of the seminar, we were called out by the counselor individually.
He asked us a few questions mainly checking how much we know our partners.

Here are some things that you will need to take be aware of. 
They will also ask for some of this information on the form before the start of the seminar:
• You and your partner's basic information
(Name, address, birthday, contact information, zip code, birthplace)
• Your partner's history
(Schooling, employment, previous marriages, children, etc.)
• Your partner's mother's maiden name


The counselor might also ask for additional documents if
• you can't answer the basic questions
• you show that you're not sure of your answers
• you and your fiance have a very big age gap
• you have lacking documents

Note that these may all vary depending which counselor handles your seminar. There are some who will be asked to have a longer one-on-one session with the counselor.


The Waiting Game

Like every other seminar, there is a waiting game.

Once your counselor says it's all okay, you will be instructed to go to the ground floor to wait for your name to be called. I had to go out for lunch first and return to claim my certificate. 

They also provide seminars for Filipinos going to Canada and other countries.

There will be a lot of people on the waiting area at the ground floor so stay alert for your name to be called.

They will provide the sticker and certificate, and you will have to pay the fee of 400php ($10)

Yay!! Finally on hand ^.^





CFO FAQs

Why do I need the CFO Seminar?
• Kindly read the whole article :) Haha! But really, it's a vital part of our immigration where they will provide necessary information about going through the airport, arriving in the US, dealing with your partner and many others.

Can I choose not to go?
• Nope.

Why not!? I already have my visa! T_T
• Because immigration will not let you through the terminal if you don't have the CFO sticker.

What's the difference between the sticker and the certificate?
• The sticker will be inside your passport and it's what the immigration officer will look at once you choose to depart. You will have to keep the certificate personally.

What is the certificate for? What if I lose it?
• From what our counselor told us, we can use the certificate once we need to renew our passports while here in the USA. You can contact them to get a copy of your certificate. Remember that original ones have a dry seal - so if you lose it, a printed scanned copy will not work.

Can I take the seminar before my visa arrives from the US Embassy?
• Yes, you can. You will get the certificate but you will need to come back to have the sticker placed on your passport.

Can I take the seminar before my visa is approved?
• That I'm not sure. I've tried to research about it but the answers are quite unclear. You can schedule your appointment ahead of time even if you don't have a visa yet - just so you can secure a slot but I'm not sure if you can get the certificate or sticker without the visa being approved.

So I can schedule an appointment before my visa is approved?
• Yup, of course!

How long is it valid for?
• It is valid for life - there is no expiration date.

I came back to the Philippines but I'm not yet a citizen, do I need to retake the CFO seminar?
• If you were able to come back here after going through the K1 visa, chances are you are already a Green Card holder or you have an Advanced Parole (travel permit). In this case, no you don't need to.

So Green Card holders don't need it?
• Nope.

I came back before my Green Card or Advance Parole (travel permit) was approved. Do I need it again?
• That I'm not sure. If things have gone awry and you came back before they were applied or approved, I would suggest that you consult directly with CFO.



Alrightie, there you go loves!

I hope I was able to give some insight into this seminar. If you find some discrepancies due to new information or processes, or if you have further questions feel free to let me know!


xoxo
~ Honey Bear ~
Contact : kimistarrphotography@gmail.com | Travel Blog : Kimi Goes Places | Official : KimiStarr.Net | Starr&Sparkle Shoppe

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show us some love :3